Learn about the history of the ancient Evil Eye symbol and how it can protect you from dark energies...
There are some moments in life that you always know are going to be big. And yet you only grasp the magnitude of the experience once those moments actually happen. There aren’t many words for the whirlwind of emotions still washing through me after my ‘little’ sister’s wedding.
Ever since our mom passed away 17 years ago, imagining the day we'd get married always felt a little bitter-sweet to my brother, my sister and I ... knowing that she wouldn't be by our side in the physical for these important events.
The sensation we all were yearning for the most was the sense of motherly protection. As my sister was preparing for her special day, I wanted her to feel protected and held on this journey - so it felt fitting that she picked the 'I see you' necklace when looking through our Soul Purpose collection. Before she put on the piece I told her a little bit about the history and meaning of this ancient, powerful symbol and instructed her in a ritual for protection:
A little history of the meaning of the evil eye pendant:
The eye in the ‘I see you’
charm is the ancient symbol of the evil eye, one of the strongest symbolic images in the world. Wearing this pendant is known to provide protection against evil forces and vibrations. This powerful symbol is found in almost every country and religion in the world including Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism and Christianity.
What amazes me is that while the cultural differences between these countries and religions are significant, the meaning of the eye pendant remains largely the same, regardless of where the story is told:
Have you ever received a look from someone that gave you chills down your spine? Or have you glared at someone with squinted, piercing eyes (and flared nostrils lol) out of anger or envy? This is the vibration the eye pendant is meant to protect you from.
It is believed that our eyes are one of the most powerful points in our bodies, able to send powerful energy into the world and holding the force to bring about misfortune and misery.
In Hinduism, it is believed that jealous and envious feelings are at the origin of the power of the evil eye. In addition, while they believe that every sentient being - women, men, and animals - are capable of giving the evil eye, it is known that women are the most common source of the evil eye.
This almost brings me to tears in my intentions to inspire women to focus on the strength, beauty and light inside themselves rather than focusing outwards in comparison to the achievements, looks and successes of others. We need to become aware of the strength and power of our focus - especially as women as we are highly connected to our intuition and magical powers, learning to be loving and caring with our gaze of ourselves and the world.
How to protect yourself, loved ones and the world from the power of the Evil Eye:
First and foremost, it is important to understand that we are all capable of bringing pain and suffering to others and ourselves - through our thoughts, words, actions and EVEN our looks. So above everything, to protect the world from evil, we need to practice love, compassion and care for ourselves and others despite our weaknesses.
One of the most popular ways across the globe of being protected from the powers of the evil eyes is to wear evil eye talismans and pendants. These symbols are worn to reflect the evil energies. This pendant originates from ancient Greece and is known as an apotropaic amulet, meaning that it reflects harm.
Practice this important cleansing ritual:
Now I’m probably not the one to tell you that we have an abundance of dark energies floating around on our planet - hatred, war, competition, depression, addictions, the list is long and sad. While I am all for guarding oneself against dark energies, it seems rather useless to just ‘reflect’ evil energies away from oneself only for those vibrations to continue to circulate on our globe, continuing to destroy and create suffering.
This is where this beautiful and powerful cleansing ritual comes in that a dear Balinese friend taught me a few years ago:
- When you receive an eye amulet or pendant, hold it in your palms and close your eyes, feeling the gratitude of protection and love washing over you.
- Once your heart is filled with the sensation of gratitude, think of a body of flowing water you have access to. This could be a little stream in a park, a river in a city you visit regularly or a waterfall you love.
- Now imagine all of the dark energies in the world along with the ones that you are protected from when wearing your evil eye pendant to be sent into this stream of water. Here they are lovingly absorbed by Mother Earth who generously and happily receives dark energies, composting and transforming them into new life.
- From now on, any dark energies coming your way will be reflected and channeled towards this source of flowing water.
- Whenever you are able to visit this source of flowing water, hold your pendant into the cleansing stream and thank the waters to always protect and purify dark forces such as envy, jealousy, hatred, and competition. If you wish, bring along flowers or other natural offerings to release into the stream, expressing your gratitude.
- Be a source of loving eyes, carrying the awareness that your own eyes have the power to shower others with love as well as be the source of deep suffering. Choose to be a source of love.
"What do we have in life, really? If we're lucky we get to a certain age, and we have each other. We have the food we like. We have our crazy little rituals. And we have each other."
~ David O. Russell
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.