Learn about the history of the ancient Evil Eye symbol and how it can protect you from dark energies...
Ever since our mom passed away 17 years ago, imagining the day we'd get married always felt a little bitter-sweet to my brother, my sister and I ... knowing that she wouldn't be by our side in the physical for these important events.
The sensation we all were yearning for the most was the sense of motherly protection. As my sister was preparing for her special day, I wanted her to feel protected and held on this journey - so it felt fitting that she picked the 'I see you' necklace when looking through our Soul Purpose collection. Before she put on the piece I told her a little bit about the history and meaning of this ancient, powerful symbol and instructed her in a ritual for protection:
A little history of the meaning of the evil eye pendant:
What amazes me is that while the cultural differences between these countries and religions are significant, the meaning of the eye pendant remains largely the same, regardless of where the story is told:
Have you ever received a look from someone that gave you chills down your spine? Or have you glared at someone with squinted, piercing eyes (and flared nostrils lol) out of anger or envy? This is the vibration the eye pendant is meant to protect you from.
It is believed that our eyes are one of the most powerful points in our bodies, able to send powerful energy into the world and holding the force to bring about misfortune and misery.
In Hinduism, it is believed that jealous and envious feelings are at the origin of the power of the evil eye. In addition, while they believe that every sentient being - women, men, and animals - are capable of giving the evil eye, it is known that women are the most common source of the evil eye.
This almost brings me to tears in my intentions to inspire women to focus on the strength, beauty and light inside themselves rather than focusing outwards in comparison to the achievements, looks and successes of others. We need to become aware of the strength and power of our focus - especially as women as we are highly connected to our intuition and magical powers, learning to be loving and caring with our gaze of ourselves and the world.
How to protect yourself, loved ones and the world from the power of the Evil Eye:
One of the most popular ways across the globe of being protected from the powers of the evil eyes is to wear evil eye talismans and pendants. These symbols are worn to reflect the evil energies. This pendant originates from ancient Greece and is known as an apotropaic amulet, meaning that it reflects harm.
Practice this important cleansing ritual:
This is where this beautiful and powerful cleansing ritual comes in that a dear Balinese friend taught me a few years ago:
- When you receive an eye amulet or pendant, hold it in your palms and close your eyes, feeling the gratitude of protection and love washing over you.
- Once your heart is filled with the sensation of gratitude, think of a body of flowing water you have access to. This could be a little stream in a park, a river in a city you visit regularly or a waterfall you love.
- Now imagine all of the dark energies in the world along with the ones that you are protected from when wearing your evil eye pendant to be sent into this stream of water. Here they are lovingly absorbed by Mother Earth who generously and happily receives dark energies, composting and transforming them into new life.
- From now on, any dark energies coming your way will be reflected and channeled towards this source of flowing water.
- Whenever you are able to visit this source of flowing water, hold your pendant into the cleansing stream and thank the waters to always protect and purify dark forces such as envy, jealousy, hatred, and competition. If you wish, bring along flowers or other natural offerings to release into the stream, expressing your gratitude.
- Be a source of loving eyes, carrying the awareness that your own eyes have the power to shower others with love as well as be the source of deep suffering. Choose to be a source of love.
Have a special someone in your life who could use a little extra protection?
The 'I see you' pieces are the perfect little gifts:
~ David O. Russell